Sunday, April 11, 2010

My review of Mother's SynWax

I just finished putting a coat of SynWax on my Corvette and I am really impressed! It leaves a nice wet look to my black paint and definitely does a fantastic job of hiding the small swirls and scratches on it! I still need to go over the paint with my buffer and do some correction work as I haven't done that in almost a year and my car is a daily driver (even in the winter), so it's nice to have a product which will fill those imperfections for the time being until I get around to removing them completely.

Even though it was only 50F (and with 60% humidity) when I put it on, I found it very easy to remove, even in some areas where I purposely put it on a bit thicker just to test out how those spots would buff out. It leaves behind no dust, which is always nice! I do find the bottle is a poor design though, as it makes it tricky to dispense the product onto the buffing pad without spilling some down the side of the bottle too. I really like how Eagle One's NanoWax has that pump dispenser (like a bottle of skin lotion would have) for example.

I do find that it's hard to use a small amount of product to do the whole car. With other stuff I've used I find a little goes a long way, but I found I used a lot more with this stuff to do the entire car (although this stuff is priced so well that it's not a big deal to use more of it, since it still costs less per application)

It also suffers from the same minor problem I had with Meguiar's #21, NXT and NXT 2.0, in that when you look at the black paint in the shade you can see some streaking. You cannot see that streaking in direct sunlight though (and I have found when I got those streaks with the Meguiar's sealants, they would go away after the first washing, or after multiple applications of detailing spray, so I suspect the same will happen here) As well, just like with the two versions of NXT, this stuff leaves behind a bit of an oily residue, so I find I need to pull the car out completely into the direct sun and look very closely from all angles and continue to buff to make sure I get rid of all of that residue. That's not a big deal though, as I think that's a trait of polymer type products and I think that oily nature is what is giving the paint that wet look and is also helping to hide the imperfections.

I have tried a lot of different waxes/polishes on this car and so far SynWax is right there at the top of my list! To give you an idea of what I've used on my 98 Corvette here is my list:

Meguiar's #20, 21 & 26
Meguiar's Gold Class
Meguiar's NXT and NXT 2.0
Zaino Z2 (the old version, not the pro that's out now)
Zaino Z5Pro
Eagle One NanoWax (just tried this one last week as it was on clearance at Walmart for $8)

In my opinion, Synwax is tied with NXT 2.0 in terms of the best shine on my black paint and best ability to hide imperfections, as well as being tied with NXT 2.0 for being the easiest to remove. I obviously can't speak on it's durability just yet but to be honest I don't worry so much about that in the warm months since I like to apply a fresh coat every 3-4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment