Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Does my new car need rustproofing?

I remember back in 1988 when I bought my first brand new car, a 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo, I immediately went to Krown and had them rustproof it for me. I then went back annually to get it redone again, as was recommended. Back then I believe it was necessary, as I don't think that new cars at that time were built well enough to resist rusting. But nowadays a lot of body panels are made from composites (plastics) or double sided galvanized steel. So IMO, the days of needing annual rustproofing are long gone. When we bought my wife's 2000 Civic in October 1999, they tried to sell us aftermarket rustproofing at the dealer, and of course we said no (they wanted something like $400) and now her car has over 160,000km on it and is still rust free, even with no rust proofing! I think the key is to make sure you get the car washed weekly in the wintertime to get that nasty road salt off it (especially the undercarriage) Besides, I always found that those oil based rustproofing treatments just made a huge mess! Oil would drip on the driveway and the engine compartment would be a dirty mess, the oil would attract all kinds of dirt to it. And if we had done annual rustproofing we would've spent over $1000 by now! This also reminds me of another unnecessary thing that new car dealers often want you to buy, and that's "paint protection", another $400 charge typically. I'll cover that topic on my next blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment