Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How to change a turn signal bulb in a 98 Corvette

One of my front turn signal bulbs burned out this morning (the tell tale sign was when I put the signal on, the flasher was going very fast) so I thought I'd give a quick rundown on how the change went. The easiest thing to do is put the front tires up on a set of rhino ramps, then you have full access under there. There is a little plastic panel which is held on by five bolts, use a 10mm socket to take these off. Then reach in and you'll see the white connector on the left side, you just need to pinch it and turn it counterclockwise to remove it. Once it's down, just gently pull on the old bulb (you don't want to break it off in there!) and pop in the new one, and then button everything back together again. The annoying part is that the owner's manual for my 98 listed the bulb as being a 3157NAK, but in reality you need a 4157NAK! The NA part indicates it's an amber bulb, I'm sure the regular 4157 would work, but it might look different than the other one, even though the light cover itself is amber anyhow. I was lucky, I already had an extra 4157NAK bulb, and it was the long life version too. I checked my records and the previous bulb had been in there for four years, and I don't think it was a long life version either, so this long life one is supposed to last twice as long. So I'm good for 8 years hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment