Friday, April 10, 2009

How to cook a prime rib!

This is how I like to cook a nice prime rib roast. First of all you start off by letting the roast come up to room temperature by taking it out of the fridge and letting it sit out for about an hour or two. (I never start with a frozen roast, I buy it fresh from the butcher and then put it in the fridge as soon as I get home) I like to coat it with a mixture of sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, fresh garlic (or garlic salt) and olive oil (thanks to Paul M for this recipe!) I preheat the oven to 450F and then put in the prime rib for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 325F and cook it until the internal temperature reaches about 120-125F (for rare) or 130-135F (for medium rare) A digital instant read thermometer is a definite must here! Depending on how big the roast is, it will be around another 90 minutes to 2 hours of cooking until it's ready to come out. When you take it out of the oven, cover it in foil and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes to lock in the juices (and it'll continue cooking and will rise in temp by another 5-10F) Then slice it up and enjoy! It goes very well with roasted potatoes and gravy! I've got one in the oven right now, and my whole house smells like meat right now! Fantastic! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment