Monday, March 16, 2009

How much would you need to retire right now?

I'm only 39, however if someone were to hand me one million dollars right now I believe I could retire as long as my wife kept working.

I wouldn't be able to live like a rock star or anything on that kind of money, but I would be able to sustain my current standard of life that I've been used to. And most importantly, no rush hour traffic and no boss to worry about and no stress worrying about the next recession!

How would you invest your money in order to allow it to earn you enough income? I would obviously hire a financial advisor to guide me, but I figured that for the next few months while the economy is still recovering I would invest in something stable (like bond funds or something safe like that which might earn 3-4% per year) and then later on this year or early next year once the markets started consistently going up again, I'd switch it to an equity type of mutual fund which would probably earn 10% a year or more for a while.

Of course, one million would probably be the bare minimum, if I had $2 million or more then that makes things a heck of a lot easier. Anyone have a few million they want to give to the Patman? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment