Monday, March 23, 2009

I never use my dipstick!

I know that sounds raunchy, but I'm talking about checking the oil level in my car! :) I have found that the dipstick is a very poor method of checking the oil level, at least in my car as I find it still shows full even if it's down a quart! So what I do now is measure how much oil comes out when I change the oil, and that allows me to figure out the rate at which it consumes oil. So for example, I know that my Corvette uses one quart every 4000 miles, so what I do is simply add a half quart of oil every 2000 miles, and at the end of the oil change I can see if what I'm doing is working, or if I need to adjust it for future intervals and add oil at a faster rate. I suppose if someone was really picky, they could say that by not removing the dipstick they don't have to worry about introducing more possible contamination into the oil, such as dust, or fibers from the rag they are using on the dipstick. But I'm not that picky am I? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment