Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Should I Follow My Oil Life Monitor?

More and more new cars nowadays are coming with oil life monitors to tell the owners when they need to change their oil, which leaves a lot of people puzzled since they've been so used to just following the old "rule" of 3000 miles or 3 months. But in a nutshell, these oil life monitors work! They typically use a combination of engine revolutions and oil temperature data in order to calculate when the oil life has reached it's end. And even then they build in a bit of leeway so that you can still safely go a little bit longer if need be. If someone does a lot of hard driving in the hot summer time, the oil life monitor will signal an oil change earlier than someone else who drives gently at highway speeds in moderate temperatures. My 98 Corvette has an oil life monitor and it typically will count down to zero between 6000 to 7000 miles. Used oil analysis has shown me that following my oil life monitor is a safe practice as my oil always has some life left in it at that point. So why are so many people still ignoring this monitor and following their old habits? I guess old habits die hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment