Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How to break in a new engine?

You're going to find many opinions on this subject, but here is how I would break in a new engine. For starters, I would make sure to drive extra gentle until the oil temperature reaches at least 100F. This is something I'd do after the break in as well! I would also make sure to vary the rpms and load quite often, so I would definitely avoid using the cruise control and I'd avoid long highway trips too. I'd also do a lot of coasting, one technique I'd do would be to find a lightly travelled road, get it up to about 50-60mph, then let off the gas and coast until I got down to about 20mph, then slowly accelerate back up to 50 or 60. I'd repeat this at least a few times a day at first. Another technique I would use is to make a few full throttle blasts, but only once the engine is fully warmed up (oil temperature of at least 180F) I wouldn't make a full throttle run from a dead stop though, I'd do it on a roll, starting out at about 30 or 40mph, and take it up to about 70 or 75mph, then coast a bit. I think that new engines need to be exercised a little bit when they are new. An engine that is well put together should not have a problem with this type of driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment